Chairman of the Board
The Center of What’s Happening:
The Center Street Marketplace
Business Improvement District 39
Center Street Marketplace BID 39 exists to improve the image of Center Street. Our boundaries are from 34th to 60th on Center Street. Our goal is to undo the negative perception of crime and safety in our area. We strive to increase the number of businesses in our area, as well as coordinate additional public improvements in the business district.
Each year, the BID is responsible for submitting an Operating Plan, which includes the budget and goals for the year, to the Common Council as part of the City’s budget. The Operating Plan includes any proposed assessments, which the BID Board has approved and the assessment formulas, which determine the assessments paid by individual property owners. The BID is classified as a quasi-governmental body, which is treated as an extension of the City.
To improve the quality of life within the district, and work with the property owners and merchants to attract new business/businesses. The proposed activities are:
- Improve the image of the target area
- Improve negative perception of crime/safety in target area
- Increase the number and variety of businesses in the target area
- Coordinate public improvements in the Center Street Marketplace District
- Protect and preserve the historical significance and integrity of structures in the target area
- Create a center of attention for new businesses
- Implement a façade program
- Increase safety and security
- Assist property owners in leasing their property
- Increase walking traffic
The Center Street Marketplace Business Improvement District is committed to continuous neighborhood development and improvement. There are several catalytic properties that can increase the vitality of this area. Some projects to consider are city-owned vacant lots along Center Street, including the lot at 35th and Center Street.